For those of you who missed Dr. John Poulsen’s presentation at the WestCAST conference this past week, I thought I would share with you his top ten list of skills that student teachers should demonstrate if they are going to make it in the profession. This wisdom was gleaned from countless hours of conversations that he has had with disillusioned student’s coming off of their field experiences.
- Make sure this is your dream
- Figure out if you can/or want to fit into teacher culture?
- Names are important: Learn them fast and correctly
- Use polite language and good manners
- Encourage acceptable language and behaviour in your classroom
- Be prepared
- Learn what went wrong/right; reassess; try suggestions; repeat
- Have good time management skills
- Plan your lessons well
- Be willing to lead
Sage advice from a well respected and experienced educator!